A kitchen that is made specifically to prevent clutter looks stylish and is easier to use. If you have an area for a pantry, this can help you keep your kitchen organized – but it all starts with organizing the pantry. These are the five most important steps to keep your pantry organized.
- Get the Most Use Out of Your Pantry Make sure that you are truly using all the space. If you have deep corners that are hard to get at, have cabinets installed that can pull out or turn. If you have high shelves that you can’t easily reach, use them to store rarely used items or get an inexpensive step ladder. Whatever you do, don’t let an inch of space go to waste.
- Customize Your Pantry for Your Unique Needs If you want to truly make the most of the room in your pantry, then you need to customize it. Don’t just look at what you have in your pantry – look at what you have in your kitchen. Are your countertops covered with clutter? If they are, look for ways to get that clutter organized in your pantry. Remember that this is for your use so you can do whatever you want.
- Organize the Pantry Wisely Of course, you must organize it well to get the most out of it. The easiest way to do this is to start with an empty pantry. Take everything out and give it all a good clean. If you see items that you have not used in years, get rid of them. If there are items that are difficult to identify, put them into storage containers you can easily label. This part takes time but it is important.
- Keep Air and Light Out If you store food or spices in your pantry, you should make sure to keep sunlight and moisture out as much as possible. You can do this with clever lighting, dark storage jars, and other steps. Remember that even a little light and moisture can bring in bugs and destroy your dry goods.
- Bring in Your Style Four-fifths of your pantry should be about function but the last fifth should be about style. What colors do you like? How do you like to see things organized? Do you want baskets and jars in a traditional or modern style? The more you like the way your pantry looks and makes you feel, the more likely you will be to keep it organized.
If you need help finding the right additions to your pantry or kitchen design, contact Mission West Kitchen & Bath at (626) 799-3503 and let us help you.