At the end of the day, everyone who is remodeling their kitchen should choose materials, colors, and pieces that they love. However, experts do warn against using certain materials that they say might not provide the re-sale value you are looking for. Check out which materials those are, and then contact Mission West Kitchen & Bath at (626) 799-3503 to learn more.
- Plastic Laminate Counters We are not telling you not to use laminate at all – we are talking specifically about low-level plastic laminate. They look thin and dull when what you want is a countertop that looks richly textured. Plastic laminate also scratches easily, and if something gest the laminate wet regularly (such as steam from your dishwasher), the laminate can chip. Even one hot pan in the wrong place could result in melting.
- Laminated Cabinet Fronts There are exceptions, but for the most part you are going to want to avoid laminated cabinet fronts. This is especially true if they are made of thermofoil This product does not have any foil or metal in it – it is actually made from vinyl. This is a very affordable option but the drawbacks are huge. It is not heat resistant, it can warp and yellow with age, and the “wood” that is used under the thermofoil is low quality and does not hold up.
- High-Gloss Lacquered Cabinets This trend took off because shine can be beautiful and eye-catching – but it comes at a price. If you want the high-gloss look, you are looking at about 20 layers of lacquer. Even a minor ding can cost a lot to repair because it is a multi-step process that must be completed by the pros.
- Flat Paint Flat paint has it place, but it is not in a kitchen remodel. Flat paint (which is often referred to as matte paint) is not durable and is not kitchen friendly. It is unstable. All it takes is one splatter of sauce to ruin the paint job and require a touch up. Flat paint can be safe for the ceiling, unless you believe you are going to have frequent blender or pressure-cooker mishaps.
- Anything Trendy You don’t want to ignore a material you like just because it’s trendy, but you don’t want to choose it just because it’s trendy either. Remember that anything that looks modern and unique today is going to look outdated tomorrow. If you are in love with material and expect to stay in your home for the next decade, then go for it. But if you plan to sell your home, know that any trendy additions will make it harder to do so.
At Mission West Kitchen & Bath we have classic, beautiful, modern materials that work well in many different uses. Feel free to call us today at (626) 799-3503 with any questions you might have.