The best way to ensure that you have appliances that will last as long as possible is to start with high-quality appliances. No matter the quality or type of appliances you have, the following tips can help extend the life of them. When it comes time to remodel your kitchen, check out Mission West Kitchen & Bath for a wide range of materials, including unique plumbing fixtures, lighting, and everything in between.
Extend the Lifespan of Your Refrigerator
Your refrigerator likely works harder than any other electric appliance in your home. It runs daily, it is opened and closed numerous times per day, and if it were to not work for a single day, you would lose all of your food. The good news is that they can last for up to 20 years when taken care of. Follow these tips to get the most life from it:
- Only use soft cloths and approved cleaners
- Clean the coils with a vacuum cleaner yearly
- Do not keep the door open
- Clean the dust and debris from the base of the fridge
- Check the drain pan regularly and do not let it fill with water
This is not a comprehensive list of maintenance, but it is enough to get you started.
Extend the Lifespan of Your Freezer
You will find manufacturers claim that their chest freezers can last for decades, but realistically they are more likely to last around a dozen years. When choosing one, look for a reputed brand and a freezer that has an automatic defrosting cycle. Then follow these tips to keep it well maintained.
- Keep the back and base clean with a vacuum cleaner
- Set it to the optimum temperature for the best service
- Mop the freezer from outside with mild detergent
Extend the Lifespan of Your Microwave
Whether you use your microwave on a daily basis or only once in a while, there are some steps you can take to help them last longer than their average of six years. They include:
- Clean out food crumbles and liquids with a soft cloth
- Wash the carousel tray
- Clean the area below the carousel tray
- Do not run the microwave if there is nothing inside it
- Only use dishwasher safe dishes inside it
Once again, this is not a comprehensive list, but it is a place to start.
Extend the Lifespan of Your Dishwasher
No one wants to wash all their dishes by hand, but no one wants to use a dishwasher that is past its prime either. The good news is that there are ways to keep in top shape, such as:
- Read the manual and make sure you are using the machine correctly
- Don’t allow the base to get clogged
- Clean the area under the dishwasher
- Keep the vent clear and clean
If it is time to find the right next appliance for your home, turn to Mission West Kitchen & Bath today for help.